Friday, January 6, 2012

It's the New Year; It's Time to Treat Yourself


"Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting."
~Author Unknown

I thought I’d start with one of my favorite dessert recipes taught to me by the best chef I know, my Grammie. 

Yes, yes, I know it’s after the holidays and we all have resolutions to be healthy and such (which is great. Really! I have such resolutions myself).

But we are only human, after all. And a bit of chocolate goes a long way in this world in my experience. These no-bake “Yum Yum Cookies" are the perfect way to treat yourself after a long gym sesh. And they contain peanut butter and oats, so you’re getting that protein and whole grain-y goodness while you splurge.




Grammie’s Yum Yum Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup of butter (1 stick)
4 tbsps cocoa powder
2 ½ cups oats
¼ cup chopped nuts (if desired)
2 tsps vanilla
½ cup peanut butter

Instructions:

In a medium-sized saucepan, cook the sugar, butter, milk, and cocoa over medium heat until mixtures reaches a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 ½ minutes. (Timing is very crucial in this recipe to avoid burning, so set your stopwatch as soon as those bubbles start a-rolling!).

Remove pan from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well and spoon 1 tsp-sized rounds onto wax paper. The cookies will harden as they cool (about an hour. Be patient--it’s worth it). Once the cookies no longer appear glassy and adopt a frosted look, you’re good to go.

The results: A smooth, rich chocolate cookie with a hint of nuttiness.

It’s delish. It requires very little prep time. It contains ingredients I usually have on hand. Basically, it’s divine!

So go and…

“Treat yo self!” Tom and Donna, Parks and Recreation

No comments:

Post a Comment